Located in the hearth of Marigot
and symbol of the local cultural life on the French side of St.Martin, the library has currently 3239 subscribers, although this figure does not reflect the reality of attendance since the public may at any time and freely come and view documents on the spot. Each year, a restocking provides enrichment and renewal of collections. At the center of cultural and social life, the library offers regular public events: exhibitions, conferences, events…
Admission is free to anyone wishing to see a document, browse the pages of a book, newspaper or magazine or visit the audio / video room (CD, DVD) or the multimedia room. The equipment also plays a role in offering access to culture specifically for young people, since children and adolescents account for 63% of visitors.
The construction of the library, by architect Didier Picard, took place in two stages: a first phase including the ground floor and first floor, dating from 1987, a second phase on the second and third levels was completed in 1991. A total area of 1050 m2, bringing together today some 30 000 documents.