The fortifications are three centuries old. The Dutch build it upon an old Spanish Fortress in 1737 on the peninsula separating Great Bay and Little Bay. Spaniards captured it two years later and added a chapel.
Despite its significance, today the site is neglected. But the views across the bay to Philipsburg
from the crumbling walls are pleasant enough.
Read also Article: Fort Amsterdam recovery project nearly completed